Current:Home > NewsNASA sets return date for empty Starliner spacecraft, crew will remain in space until 2025 -WealthTrack
NASA sets return date for empty Starliner spacecraft, crew will remain in space until 2025
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-07 04:25:20
After almost three months of waiting and delays, Boeing’s Starliner spacecraft has a tentative return date, although it will do so without its two-person crew.
On Thursday, NASA said that, “pending weather and operational readiness,” the Starliner will undock from the International Space Station no earlier than 6:04 EDT on September 6. Following a six-hour flight, the spacecraft should touch down a few minutes after midnight on September 7 at a landing zone at the White Sands Space Harbor in New Mexico, where it will then be recovered and transported to the Boeing Starliner factory at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
Astronauts Barry “Butch” Wilmore and Sunita “Suni” Williams, who flew aboard the Starliner during its inaugural crewed flight on June 5, will remain at the International Space Station for another six months until they return in February aboard the SpaceX Dragon capsule.
An autonomous return
The Starliner will make the return journey autonomously, according to NASA. The spacecraft completed a similar uncrewed entry and landing during an earlier orbital flight test.
“Teams on the ground are able to remotely command the spacecraft if needed through the necessary maneuvers for a safe undocking, re-entry, and parachute-assisted landing in the southwest United States,” the agency said.
See timeline:2 months after Starliner launched, astronauts still haven’t returned
The Starliner's troubled history
The Starliner has had an often-troubled history since Boeing was awarded a $4.8 billion contract in 2014 to develop a spacecraft capable of making crewed trips to low-Earth orbit.
The spacecraft’s inaugural launch with astronauts aboard was initially scheduled for May 6, but was scrubbed just hour before liftoff after engineers discovered a technical anomaly. A second attempted launch in June 1 was scrubbed as well, this time only minutes before liftoff, due to a computer issue.
When the Starliner finally did launch on June 5 with Wilmore and Williams aboard, it was only scheduled to spend a week docked at the International Space Station. As the Starliner arrived in orbit, however, NASA announced that helium leaks had been discovered aboard the spacecraft. Throughout June and July, Boeing and NASA repeatedly delayed the Starliner’s return, although the space agency was emphatic that the Starliner’s crew was in no way stranded at the space station.
On August 24, NASA announced that the Starliner would return to Earth without its crew.
“Spaceflight is risky, even at its safest and most routine. A test flight, by nature, is neither safe nor routine. The decision to keep Butch and Suni aboard the International Space Station and bring Boeing’s Starliner home uncrewed is the result of our commitment to safety: our core value and our North Star,” NASA Administrator Bill Nelson said at the time.
Contributing: Eric Lagatta, USA TODAY
Max Hauptman is a Trending Reporter for USA TODAY. He can be reached at [email protected]
veryGood! (3)
prev:Trump's 'stop
next:'Most Whopper
Related
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Dylan Lyons, a 24-year-old TV journalist, was killed while reporting on a shooting
- To Flee, or to Stay Until the End and Be Swallowed by the Sea
- In a New Policy Statement, the Nation’s Physicists Toughen Their Stance on Climate Change, Stressing Its Reality and Urgency
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Full transcript of Face the Nation, July 16, 2023
- United Airlines will no longer charge families extra to sit together on flights
- Death Valley, hottest place on Earth, hits near-record high as blistering heat wave continues
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Country star Jason Aldean cites dehydration and heat exhaustion after rep says heat stroke cut concert short
Ranking
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Chris Martin Serenading Dakota Johnson During His Coldplay Concert Will Change Your Universe
- Janet Yellen visits Ukraine and pledges even more U.S. economic aid
- How to file your tax returns: 6 things you should know this year
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Say Bonjour to Selena Gomez's Photo Diary From Paris
- Warming Trends: New Rules for California Waste, Declining Koala Bears and Designs Meant to Help the Planet
- The Handmaid’s Tale Star Yvonne Strahovski Is Pregnant, Expecting Baby No. 3 With Husband Tim Lode
Recommendation
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
The maker of Enfamil recalls 145,000 cans of infant formula over bacteria risks
FDA approves new drug to protect babies from RSV
Inside Titanic Sub Tragedy Victims Shahzada and Suleman Dawood's Father-Son Bond
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Katy Perry Gives Update on Her Sobriety Pact With Orlando Bloom
OceanGate Believes All 5 People On Board Missing Titanic Sub Have Sadly Died
Inside Clean Energy: Four Things Biden Can Do for Clean Energy Without Congress