Current:Home > MyNew Orleans priest publicly admits to sexually abusing minors -WealthTrack
New Orleans priest publicly admits to sexually abusing minors
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 06:02:55
After years of denial, a notorious former New Orleans church leader admitted in an interview that he sexually molested or harassed several teenagers during his career.
CBS affiliate WWL-TV in New Orleans was interviewing Lawrence Hecker with the British newspaper the Guardian about a statement he gave to New Orleans church leaders in 1999 when he made the confession.
Hecker, 91, became an ordained priest in 1958. According to a timeline compiled by WWL-TV, he used that position to abuse or harass minors over years.
In 1988, reports of his actions reached New Orleans archbishop Philip Hannan. Hecker convinced Hannan he would never again "be in any such circumstances" and faced no consequences until 1999, when continued reports against Hecker led the archdiocese to send him to a psychiatric treatment facility outside of Louisiana. There, he was diagnosed as a pedophile, and the facility recommended he be prohibited from working with minors or other "particularly vulnerable people," according to a personnel file reviewed by WWL-TV.
The 1999 complaint also led to his statement, where Hecker acknowledged committing "overtly sexual acts" with three underage boys and said he had close relationships with four others that lasted until the 1980s.
When asked if he had performed the acts laid out in the statement, Hecker told WWL-TV "Yes" twice. His admission was recorded on video.
Hecker said he was "truly repentant" and "can't answer" whether he thought law enforcement should pursue a case against him. Hecker has never been criminally prosecuted, according to WWL-TV, but he has been the subject of an investigation by the New Orleans district attorney's office.
Even after he was released from the psychiatric facility, Hecker continued to work in the church, saying that he believed he had been cleared to do such work. In 2000, he was assigned to St. Charles Borromeo in Destrehan, a small town in Louisiana. The church had an elementary school attached, WWL-TV reported.
A man recently alleged that Hecker choked and raped him. Hecker denied those allegations.
Hecker retired in 2002, after the Catholic church adopted reforms after it came to light that the institution had been protecting priests accused of molesting minors in Boston, Massachusetts.
Keith Lampkin, chief of operations and external affairs for the Orleans Parish District Attorney's Office, said Wednesday "As with all cases, the OPDA will utilize all relevant, admissible evidence of guilt to obtain justice for victims."
The fallout from Hecker's actions continued into the 2010s.
During a 10-year period beginning in 2010, the archdiocese paid at least $332,500 to reach out-of-court settlements in five cases alleging sexual abuse by Hecker, according to WWL-TV.
Despite this, the New Orleans archdiocese never told churchgoers and other members of the community what Hecker was suspected of until 2018, when a list of priests and deacons considered credibly accused predators was released under public pressure.
The archdiocese continued to pay Hecker's retirement benefits until 2020, WWL-TV said.
- In:
- New Orleans
- Sexual Abuse
- Church
- Child Abuse
- Catholic Church
- Louisiana
Kerry Breen is a news editor and reporter for CBS News. Her reporting focuses on current events, breaking news and substance use.
veryGood! (979)
Related
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Amazon ends its charity donation program AmazonSmile after other cost-cutting efforts
- At COP26, a Consensus That Developing Nations Need Far More Help Countering Climate Change
- Kourtney Kardashian Is Pregnant, Expecting First Baby With Husband Travis Barker
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Having Rolled Back Obama’s Centerpiece Climate Plan, Trump Defends a Vastly More Limited Approach
- Huge jackpots are less rare — and 4 other things to know about the lottery
- Inside Clean Energy: A Michigan Utility Just Raised the Bar on Emissions-Cutting Plans
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Billion-Dollar Disasters: The Costs, in Lives and Dollars, Have Never Been So High
Ranking
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- At COP26, a Consensus That Developing Nations Need Far More Help Countering Climate Change
- New York City nurses end strike after reaching a tentative agreement
- Are you struggling to pay off credit card debt? Tell us what hurdles you are facing
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- A Delta in Distress
- Tom Brady, Justin Timberlake and More Stars Celebrate Father's Day 2023
- Elon Musk takes the witness stand to defend his Tesla buyout tweets
Recommendation
New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
Can you use the phone or take a shower during a thunderstorm? These are the lightning safety tips to know.
Minnesota man arrested over the hit-and-run death of his wife
Lisa Marie Presley’s Twins Finley and Harper Lockwood Look So Grown Up in Graduation Photo
The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
Olaplex, Sunday Riley & More: Stock Up on These Under $50 Beauty Deals Today Only
Jeffrey Carlson, actor who played groundbreaking transgender character on All My Children, dead at 48
Lessons From The 2011 Debt Ceiling Standoff